Summer Legal Institute
The Summer Legal Institute is an exciting multi-day program designed to introduce high school students to the legal field by introducing them to attorneys and judges, participating in an oral argument competition, and providing them with the practical tools necessary to achieve their educational goals.
- Mock Law School Class: Give high school students an idea of what it’s like to be a law student! Analyze a case with them and help them understand IRAC
- Professional Etiquette: Present on networking skills, the “elevator pitch”, email etiquette, and more!
- Financial Literacy: Provide students with an overview of how to manage money. Discuss credit scores, banking, student loans, and more.
- Oral Argument Practice: Help students prepare for the Oral Argument Competition on the following day by watching them practice and offering constructive criticism.
- Oral Argument Evaluation: Join our Appellate panel and ask students questions during their oral argument presentations. Students will appreciate your insightful feedback regarding the arguments they have worked on throughout the week. Volunteers will evaluate their performance using a set of criteria provided by JTB.
To register, follow the links below:
San Diego, CA
June 26 – 30, 2023
July 17 – 21, 2023
July 24 – 28, 2023
Ready. Set. Law.
This program is a partnership between JTB and UIC Law to provide information about the law school experience. Students will explore the skills required to succeed in law school and gain exposure to legal career paths. The program includes an admissions presentation by law school faculty, the opportunity to participate in a 1L course, a conversation with a panel of law student leaders, and the opportunity to meet with a federal judge. JTB is searching for volunteers to help make the program successful!
All volunteers should be engaging, prepared, and excited to work with college students interested in law! This program will take place on September 15, 2023, at the University of Illinois at Chicago Law School.
Register here: tfaforms.com/5056065
Law School 101
This virtual program focuses on the law school experience for undergraduates interested in pursuing a legal career. Students will discover the law school admissions process, how to brief a case, and ask questions of practicing attorneys. You will help students figure out whether law school is their right fit and provide them the first steps to navigate their way to and through law school.
All volunteers should be engaging, prepared, and excited to work with college students interested in law! This program will take place on May 23 – 25, 2023.
Register here: tfaforms.com/5034162
This summer virtual program introduces high school students to the legal field with attorney panels, presentations on different practice areas of law, discussions on the role of law in current movements, and inspires students through the stories of judges and their rise to the role. Our volunteers are essential in making our programs successful. Whether volunteering for a live or recorded session, expect to become a mentor to one or two JTB scholars!
All volunteers should be engaging, prepared, and excited to work with high school students interested in law! This program will take place on July 31 – August 4, 2023.
Register here: tfaforms.com/5034409
Volunteers play a key role in the success of our programs. By offering experience and expertise, volunteers allow each of our scholars the opportunity to grow in their new legal knowledge.
Express interest in volunteering HERE.
Sign up for our newsletter and follow us on social media to receive updates on new volunteer opportunities.
Please email [email protected] for questions regarding volunteer opportunities.