Hosted by Loyola University School of Law
Applications are now open. Please click here to access!
The Middle School Law Camp is a fun, educational, and interactive program hosted by Loyola University School of Law (35 E. Pearson, Chicago, IL). The MSLC will take place from Wednesday, June 27, to Friday, June 29, 2018. Our program provides middle school students with exposure to legal careers, the opportunity to build legal and professional skills, and connections with judges, lawyers, and other leaders in the legal profession. The program is FREE to all students, with public transportation passes available to students who express a need. Housing is not available; students traveling from a distance further than the metro area are required to arrange for their own housing.
Students who participate in the Middle School Law Camp will:
Study the legal system and how it works alongside attorney and judge volunteers;
Build leadership and teamwork skills;
Analyze selected cases, debate legal issues and participate in both a mock trial and an oral argument;
Gain an understanding of the real-life aspects of practicing law at a law firm or corporation;
Develop contacts with legal professionals and organizations that provide scholarships, internships and mentors; and
Receive guidance about the college and law school admissions processes, as well as financial aid resources.*
* Parents, guardians, and mentors are strongly encouraged to attend the closing ceremony to learn the steps involved in helping students navigate the process of taking standardized tests, applying to college, exploring financial aid and working toward the ultimate goal of attending law school.
HOW TO APPLY:
The MSLC is open to students who will be in 6th, 7th or 8th grade in the Fall of 2018 and the program is FREE to all students. Enrollment is limited to 40 students. Applications are due by Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. CST. Please note that applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until slots are filled, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
To apply online, include:
1. Completed answers to the questions on the online form.
2. Your Statement of Interest. On a separate piece of paper, please submit a paragraph telling us about yourself and discussing why you would like to participate in this program. Be sure to include your name on the statement.
3. An unofficial copy of your current progress report or report card (official transcript not required).
4. A letter of recommendation from a non-family member who knows you well. The recommendation letter should include: (a) the writer’s name, title and contact information; (b) the writer’s relationship to the applicant; (c) the length of time the writer has known the applicant; and (d) why the writer believes the applicant should participate in the Middle School Law Camp.